Saturday, September 28, 2013

What will you leave them?


Whenever I’m reminded of the film “The Lion King” I’m always drawn to the part in the photo above where Simba comes to the reality that Mufasa is dead. (Someone posted this picture on FaceBook for something and it caught my attention and now you are reading a new CLUE after several months - that's how it works sometimes!)  I remember this movie so well because it was the first theater movie we took our oldest son to (that he didn’t holler through ... we never made it through The Body Guard - lol). When he was a toddler we would act out the scenes and the one we played out the most was the revelation from Scar that “I killed Mufasa!” and he attempted to throw Simba from the cliff.  That was a nearly two decades ago – wait – yes that’s right – praise break … thank you Lord for life and health! Okay, back to business … Yes that was close to twenty years ago but again the scene in the photo above always grabs me in my soul.

One day the inevitable (death) will arrive for all of us. One day a loved one will say “please come back!” If you are blessed to grow to an age where you leave loved ones (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren … little Simbas), have you considered what you will leave them? ). The bible declares that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children (Proverbs. 13:22). So what will you leave them? Money? Land? Material possessions, etc? While those things are commendable and quite necessary; I believe what matters more is not what you leave for them but what you leave in them!  Sure, we all want to leave some tangible items and heirlooms for our children and loved ones, but which is a greater gift, what you leave for them or what you leave in them?

The Apostle Paul was certain that young Timothy’s mother & grandmother left a “faith deposit” within him. (2 Timothy 1:5) He was aware that something bigger than Timothy was “dwelling” in him and that he would be able to survive in the days after Paul’s departure. During these days of swift movement in that direction, I reflect on those “Lion King days” and how the cub was able to find his way back home because of what was “inside” of him. Because of that which was in him he was able without hesitation to take his rightful place as King! I trust that when my time comes, the faith that I instill in my Simba x3 (three sons) is strong enough for them to pass on to their children so they can continue the line of greatness I’ve set for them.

TheClueFromLeu ®

No comments: